Sunday 3 August 2014

BEN and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance

Shortly after my previous post on the velocity of vulnerability, I had my most sobering moment as a female cyclist in Cape Town. Well into my commute, where the my speed of travel all but nullifies the vulnerability I would have otherwise felt while walking, my front wheel looked spongy.
Puncture.

I looked around desperately hoping that the panic of realization that had set in would only be visible to a good Samaritan, not an opportunistic criminal. This was not an area to stop. This certainly was not an area to change a tube. I made some emergency calls...

           Dear male cyclist friends, 
           If you have a female friend who you know is commuting and they call saying 
           they have had a puncture:
          1. Firstly, always answer your f*@#ing phone and 
          2. Stop what you are doing and come and f&#!ing help.
          sincerely, 
          All the women in the world.

I wheeled my bike as far as I could before help eventually arrived. I reckoned that moving was better than waiting, although it was very clear to observers that my bike was injured. It was disarming how vulnerable I felt.

Here are the obvious questions:
1. Didn't you have a pump to inflate your tires for a km or so to get to safety?
A: Yes. I had never actually used it though, and subsequently discovered that it needed to be disassembled and reassembled with the correct nozzle to fit the value on my particular bike. Huge newbie oversight!
2. Surely it doesn't take that long to change a tire?
A: Currently takes me about 10 minutes somewhere comfortable.There are very few places along my regular commute that I would feel safe to do this. I'll need to practice to get faster if need be. I replaced my tubes with their slime filled compatriots to lessen problems.
3.  If you started fixing your bike, maybe someone would stop and help.
A: ...Or help themselves to my bike and me.


In 6 days time, on Women's Day, we are celebrating freedom, women and the bicycle in Cape Town's inaugural 27km Freedom Ride.
I'm looking at my freedom machine, realizing afresh that in many ways freedom is still so aspirational. When you go slow enough or even stop, you cant help but see poverty and unemployment while breathing in the desperation and hopelessness in our city.
Bicycles are a versatile way to move people out of these conditions. Literally in my case and more conceptually when we understand for example, the ability of the bicycle to release finance otherwise spent on expensive and limited transport options.

In order for women to seriously take up commuting, there are some very practical issues that will need to be addressed. A good understanding of bicycle maintenance is an obvious first step. More broadly and further to my ongoing discussions with the City of Cape Town, cycling routes must be designed as safe public spaces. Not lines on a map. Places that are inhabited, have surveillance, lighting, community engagement etc as one would expect in any well functioning dignity honoring public place. Just adding bikes.
In discussions with Bicycle Cape Town on this matter, we have collaborated to conceptualize a Women's Bootcamp of sorts - developing ways in which we can equip and empower female cyclists to commute more safely. Removing barriers to entry. Celebrating and equipping the union of freedom and bicycle (bloomers optional!)
Watch this space.

Freedom can move from being aspirational to real by a series of decisive steps. Equipping. Empowering. Knowing your bike is a good start in saving you from a long walk.

If you have ideas on how cycling in Cape Town can be safer or easier for you please mail me at kirsten[at]bicyclecapetown[dot]org and lets get started. 

twitter@contestedspaces




No comments:

Post a Comment